I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. This is one of the dishes my family ate. It’s a very nice replacement for traditional stuffing but can also be a hearty entree.
This is a great dish to take to parties. If you have far to go or it will be hours before you eat, I would do the last 1 hour of baking at your destination if possible.
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/3 pound rye bread, stale, cubed
- 2/3 pound sourdough bread, stale, cubed (cube the breads the night before and leave them set out on the counter to dry)
- 4 cups mushroom broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup flat parsley, chopped
- Heat a nonstick pan on high heat. When it is good and hot (hot is important since I don’t want to use oil) add several tablespoons of water, then quickly add onions, garlic, mushrooms and celery. Cook until all is soft and lightly browned.
- Transfer to a 9 by 13 inch backing dish. Add bread cubes, cooked squash, broth and parsley. Gently combine
- Bake at 350 until warm in the center and the top is slightly crusty, about 1 hour.
Serve topped with your favorite vegan gravy.
- Not a fan of Rye bread… use all Sourdough.
- Instead of gravy, go for a different taste and drizzle with pure maple syrup.
Start off by cubing the bread the night before and leave it on the counter to dry up a bit.
Cut up some butternut squash.
Saute all of the vegetables and mushrooms
Place the vegetables, mushrooms and butternut squash in a baking dish
Add in the bread and top with parsley
Ready to be served!
- Simple Banana Oat Bars - December 5, 2016
- Apple Walnut Cabbage Slaw - August 6, 2016
- Kale Salad with Roasted Maple Carrots - July 26, 2016
- Vegan Stuffed Peppers - July 14, 2016
- Vegan Pozole – Mexican Favorite - July 9, 2016
- Zucchini Burgers - May 31, 2016
- Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup - March 20, 2016
- Cauliflower Crust Vegan Pizza - June 22, 2015
- Little Vegan Restaurant in Guatemala - April 6, 2015
- My Vegan Cooking Class While on Vacation in Guatemala - February 23, 2015