There are two things in this recipe I had never made before I tried making this recipe; cheesecake and dolce de leche. This recipe was quite the experiment but I had so much fun making it!
Growing up, I was never a huge fan of cheesecake. I even worked at, and I am a bit hesitant to admit this, the Cheesecake Factory before I was vegan and still turned my nose up to all of their desserts.
Yet I absolutely love this recipe. Vegan cheesecake is amazing to me. Tastes similar to regular cheesecake but doesn’t have that overwhelming richness of cheese in it.
The Dulce de Leche topping really makes this cheesecake as well. Tastes like a milky caramel and would be great not only for cheesecakes but to top off your non-dairy ice creams, stir into your coffee, or swirl on top of some pancakes!
Dulce de Leche:
1 can Full Fat Coconut Milk
1/2 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar or Brown Sugar
3 Cups Cashews (soaked overnight)
1/2 Cup melted Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Coconut Nectar or Maple Syrup or Agave
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1/4 cup non-dairy Milk
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt
1 1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 tsp Maple Syrup
2 flax eggs (6 tbsp water + 2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed together)
2 tbsp water
1. Place the ingredients for the Dulce de leche sauce in a sauce pan and bring to a boil while stirring about every minute.
2. Let the mixture boil for about 3 minutes and then bring it down to low and cook for 35-45 minutes. Continue stirring every minute or so.
3. Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for your crust into a blender and blend on high.
4. Scrap down the sides several times.
5. Place the crust mixture into a cheesecake baking pan or pie tin. I used just enough of the crust to fill the bottom of a pie tin. You can put the crust on the sides if you want.
6. Combine all of the Filling ingredients into a blender and blend on high until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may need to scrap down the sides while doing this as well.
7. Set your filling aside and wait until your Dulce de leche sauce is ready. When it looks like it has reduced by half and is a nice, dark color, take it off the heat and let it cool for several minutes.
8. Pour your cheesecake filling into your baking tin, on top of the crust.
9. In little amounts with a spoon, pour your Dulce de leche sauce on top of the cheesecake filling. Use a tooth pick to swirl the sauce around to make a nice design and evenly spread it out.
10. Place in the freezer for about 3-4 hours and enjoy! Store in the freezer when not eating.
Share this post -