I am a huge fan of fries (especially dipped in ketchup) but most of the fries you find are full of grease and really not healthy in any sense. Making your own fries allows you to control the amount of oil used plus, you don’t even have to fry them! Baking them cuts out so many calories and, in my opinion, they taste so much better!
My favorite potatoes to use to make fries are sweet potatoes. They are so deliciously sweet and taste amazing when baked. Plus, they are very easy to cut up and bake. Sweet potatoes are loaded with Fiber, Vitamin A, and Antioxidants. So basically they are also SO GOOD FOR YOU!
BUT, making sweet potato fries can be a little difficult! I have tried many, many times and they come out all soggy and never get crispy like good fries should be. After many attempts at perfecting my recipe, I have found the secret to making crispy fries. HIGH TEMPERATURE AND THINNER FRIES! I believe that having thinner fries allows them to get rid of that initial moisture and begin to crisp.
So here is my recipe for Sweet Potato Fries with a Kick! Trust me, the spicy and sweet flavors go so well together!
4 Medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled
3 tbsp Coconut or Olive Oil
1/2 tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 tbsp Cumin Powder
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut your sweet potatoes into long, thin (about 1/2- 3/4 inch in width) strips.
3. Place all ingredients into a container and shake it up. This will coat the sweet potato pieces evenly with all of your spices and oil.
4. Evenly spread out your strips on two greased baking sheets and place in the oven.
5. Cook for about 15 minutes and flip them over.
6. Wait about 5-8 minutes and then carefully watch your fries until they are browned on the edges and look done. Keep a close eye on them because they can burn easily!
7. Let them cool and enjoy! They go great with a side of ketchup or vegan ranch!Share this post -